Zombie

He could smell it; the unmistakable scent of living human flesh and he sensed an opportunity to feast on something warm, rich and satisfying.

He lumbered down a road that was somehow vaguely familiar, the street lights in the darkness casting eerie shadows but he did not notice – he was unaware of the environment.

A movement in a room, the hurried extinguishing of a light inside, he became aware that the smell emanated from within so he followed his instinct to the house; glass doors were no obstacle and he easily found his way inside.

The smell was stronger now and he followed it up the stairs; somehow he knew where he needed to go.

A scream, “No Daddy!”, then eerie silence before the satiation.

Lillie McFerrin

34 thoughts on “Zombie

1. dekeboo says:

That’s very creepy and I felt like i was in his shadow. Great post.

2. Pretty horrific, and a final sentence to make you shiver!

3. McGuffyAnn says:

Definitely horrific, on several levels.

4. Sarah Mac says:

In each sentence there is a clue to that twist at the end but it’s still a shocker when it comes. Ive never attepmted horror either, this is a great first!

5. Most definitely the way to do it… Excellent piece and really well written.

ps: Did you know your link goes to your old blog? xx

6. hard to believe this is your first horror, you’ve captured the atmosphere really well, great job.

7. Yikes! I’m glad I didn’t read this before bedtime. This is the stuff of nightmares. Good job, Andrew.

8. WOAH. Was not expecting that last sentence! Very creepy, very neatly crafted.

9. This is a perfect example of packing the most punch with the least amount of words. A vivid, creepy story. Love it!!

10. lasalk says:

There’s nothing like a well-written horror story with a great twist.

11. Melanie Cole says:

Creepy! Loved seeing it from his point of view, very good!

12. Creepy…very very creepy – also unexpected and, oddly, delicious. I’m not sure I liked what this brought out in me. 🙂

13. TheOthers1 says:

I know everyone else has said it, but I’ll say it again. Creepy. That last line freaked me out a bit. Nicely done.

• Andrew says:

Thank you CC. I’ll admit that this prompt was a bit of a stretch for me too. That’s how we grow though.

14. Oh. No. That made my skin crawl. Brilliant writing!

15. JazzBumpa says:

Ick. Gruesome. Good job, though.

JzB

16. This is pure horror! The final line is brilliant and delivers a devastating blow…

17. It’s a good story, from the ‘inside’, and well crafted. Good fun!

Comments are closed.